This role is responsible for leveraging data resources, internal knowledge and environmental trends to create value and growth through Category Management. This team member will provide expertise and category insights to help drive growth and performance with our top customer. He/she will provide category solutions and strategic guidance to help develop growth platforms and recommendations to further enhance the relationship and business performance. This person will also lead the process for identifying customer-specific opportunities to enable successful category growth and enhanced partnership. He/she will be responsible for helping develop the strategic goals and metrics that define success with this important distribution partner. The expectation is that this team member will use this highly-engaged, cross-functional experience to continue growth.
Project Management – Using both internal and external market data to complete weekly scorecards, lead quarterly business reviews and develop strategic goals in conjunction with the sales and category management teams. Manage projects from inception to completion, ensuring they are carried out to deadline and within budget
Category Analysis – Perform high-level, in-depth category analyses using research data; define and quantify the total foodservice market for this category. Responsible for understanding the performance of all SKUs within a category, the constraints of the market, and optimizing the variety of SKUs offered for the category as it relates to the strategic plan. Monitor industry trends and competitive activity to identify opportunities to improve capabilities/advantage. Leverage analytics and insights and build customized category goals, strategies and tactics to achieve sales growth objectives; including the improvement of the suppliers field sales team capability to leverage the analytics & insights.
Influencing Skills – Work in conjunction with the Business Center, Operating Companies and other Category Leadership resources to execute an annual business plan that ensures the achievement of the goals and objectives. Work in conjunction with the Business Center to develop and oversee category training programs. Work remotely while still meeting customer needs and bridging communication challenges between resective cross-functional team members
Optimize Resources and Capabilities – Continuously analyze business needs/direction and make recommendations on the appropriate insight/research tool sets assuring best-in-class capability and execution.
Strategic Planning – Manage the category as a strategic business unit. Develop strategic plan that will address the overall category business plan, both in volume and profit goals to deliver industry leading results; including category long range planning and review meetings with SMS. Support deployment of brand initiatives and lead deployment of category management materials. Measure performance and impact of initiatives and promotional strategies, communicating the results effectively across the business. Provide mapping of which product attributes are best suited for which customer attributes for inclusion.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in consumer products/syndicated data (IRI/Nielson/dun humby) or category management
- Minimum of 5 years Category Management experience
- BA/BS, MBA or MA in Marketing, Economics or Statistics preferred
- Ability to travel 10 – 20%
- Proven leadership in driving using data sources to develop strategies and growth platforms
- Strong analytical skills evidenced by the ability to mine data and identify performance trends
- Ability to mobilize key findings into actionable recommendations through sales presentations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills demonstrated by the ability to express complex information to a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated success in utilizing ROI tools to drive investment optimization and decisions
- Knowledge and fundamental application of industry tools such as NPD Supply Track, Technomic, IRI/Nielsen, Datassentials, etc.
- Ability to conduct situation assessments to understand and communicate the current state of the business ie. Quarterly Business Reviews